Saturday, February 23, 2008

Coming of age...

Belonging to a far-off remote hamlet in Bihar where the entire population of the district was around 5 lakhs, it was just a chance that made me a Techie.


I remember when we were passing 10th, there was no other goal in mind other than how to get into and pass Intermediate/12th. Even after passing 12th, it was just like.. Oh! I've passed 12th with Mathematics so I should now try for Engineering or if with Science, then try for Medicals. No long term planning, no career councelling.. things could not have been worse.


Tried for Medicals and needless to say being unsuccessful ( I have to admit this, whatever be the reasons and circumstances), I opted for a graduation in Public Administration. Having done that from Hyderabad, I moved to Delhi for admission to Law in prestigious DU.

In DU, even after clearing the law entrance and having my name in merit list, I was denied admission, don't know on what grounds! This was the last resort that I had in my life and I felt too miserable to return to my home. Then suddenly I happened to meet a friend who was working as a Data Entry Operator and advised me to go for IGNOU's MCA, telling me that I can land in the job of a System Analyst paying somewhere around 15k per month! Not too bad in 1997 I suppose!

And the idea struck my mind. Having seen the computers only at railway reservation centres, that too only twice or thrice in my life, I never thought that I will make a career out of it. Fate.. destiny... whatever.... but I did joined IGNOU for a one year computer course, a pre-requisite for MCA.

No comments:

 
.